Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Why I want to be a teacher
I want to teach at the elementary level, preferably 1st or 2nd grade. My ultimate goal for teaching is to be an English teacher abroad, specifically in Brazil. I decided to pursue teaching when I was fourteen years old. I was in Buenos Aires, Argentina at the time. While there we visited a school. Walking through each classroom I felt a sense of belonging. The following summer, I went to Caruaru, Brazil, as I do every summer. This particular time, though, I taught English for the very first time. I fell in love with teaching. That was the first time I actual taught anything. A retired teacher, Jan Smith, has gone with me to Brazil almost every time. She is certified and ESL teaching and has helped me significantly. I have learned so much from her. My fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Suggs, also has influenced me greatly. She has allowed me to visit her class countless times and lets me help out and teach mini-lessons over the years. I have learned so much from these two ladies. I admire them greatly and hope to be like them one day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for sharing your story. I love how God has put some wonderful learning/ministry opportunities in your path as well as given you some special teacher relationships and that these women have encouraged you and inspired you. I hope that your time here at NU provides many additional excellent learning opportunities as you prepare for teaching English in Brazil. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteI too feel that same sense of belonging in a classroom. I think that is a special gift from God. Your plans to teach abroad are admirable. My sister-in-law and her husband teach in an English school in Bangladesh. If I was single I would go there in a heartbeat. :)Teaching English to students of other languages is exciting especially when you see the "light" come on. :)
ReplyDeleteHaving had the privileged opportunity to see you teach in Brazil, I can say you truly light up and relish those experiences, especially with the little ones. You are skilled at what you do and becoming even more so as we progress. Take care friend. Obrigada pra su amizade. :)
ReplyDelete