I would like to teach a grade at the primary level (1-3). I would imagine that students of that age are on the computer daily. I little girl I babysit is in first grade and loves to play on the computer. She knows how to get the the websites she likes and how to navigate them, even though she cannot read very well. She has been able to do this for at least 2-3 years. Children of this age, 6-9, like to and are used to playing virtual games. If I could implement some activities along the same level, I could probably keep them focused on the task and they perhaps could learn the material better. For 3rd graders who are beginning to learn the names of the states and their locations, I could provide a list of websites with activities related to the states (their names, locations, facts, etc) that they could visit at home to practice. I could also, with the help of the SMARTBoard do activities in class with them. Perhaps not for 1st grade, but for the other two grades, 2nd and 3rd, I could have a class blog where we could discuss what we are learning (of course, I would do this only after having it approved by the parents).
I read an article called "Staff Development to Provide Intentional Language Teaching in Technology-Rich K-8 Multicultural Classrooms". It focused on an 'experiment', for lack of a better word, done in Arizona schools to see how technology improved education, especially the education of ELLs and students of other heritages. In the initiative, pre-service and in-service teachers received training in instructional applications of information technologies and how to develop/implement Unit of Practice (UOP), which is "framework for organizing content and embedding technology into teachers’ classroom instruction." The researchers found that "the UOP addressed the need for incorporating intentional language teaching strategies into content lessons (e.g., social studies) for these pupils." Doing this through the use of technology, a teacher accomplishes two things at once: intentional language instruction and computer literacy instruction. Researchers have discovered over times that it is absolutely necessary for ELLs to receive opportunities to use computers and practice technology skills; both of theses things will allow their proficiency level of English to increase. I chose this article because I want to be an ELL teacher. I found this article to be very relevant to myself and my career goals. I agree with the need to implement technology in regular mainstream classrooms as well as the ELL classrooms. Children who are ELL students are already a step behind the other students. By giving these students technological skills as well as helping them develop computer literacy, on top of furthering their English proficiency level, will allow them to be able to get a job in the future. It is crucial as teachers to remember that we are not only teaching children facts and concepts for the present moment, but that we are also teaching and training children for the future beyond their academic careers. By implementing technology into everyday instruction, whether it be in an ELL classroom or not, we can accomplish this.
I like how the NET standards for both teachers and students are in a way vague. They state what must be acquired, but they leave so much room for you as the teacher to decide how your students will acquire them. I think that the safety precautions needed online should be taight as soon as a student jumps on a computer for the first time. It is certainly the job of the teacher, as well as the parents and other adults in a particular child's life to model appropriate and safe computer ettiquet and usage. As opposed to grading a student on whether or not they got the correct answer, which is important too, being creative and innovative, as noted in the first NET is equally important and can be carried over into all other aspects of life.
http://firma.northwestu.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com.firma.northwestu.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=24601519&site=ehost-live
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment